In 1921, after years of planning, Stopes and her husband Humphrey Verdon Roe opened the Mothers' Clinic in Holloway , North London .  The clinic, run by midwives and supported by visiting doctors,  offered mothers birth control advice and taught them the use of a cervical cap . Later in the same year, Stopes founded the Society for Constructive Birth Control and Racial Progress , a support organization for the clinic. Her clinic made contraception acceptable during the 1920s by framing it in scientific terms and gained an international reputation. The Malthusian League opened up a second clinic shortly afterward, but admitted that Stopes clinic had been the first in the British Empire , although the League emphasised that theirs was the first scientific clinic where birth control instruction was given under medical supervision (the medical officer was Norman Haire ).  These two clinics 'opened up a new period in the history of the movement aimed at the emancipation of women from their slavery to the reproductive function'.  Although the clinic helped few patients in 1921 'the year was one of the most important in the whole history of birth control simply because of their very existence'.